Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Green River Lake

On Sunday we drove to the Green River Lake to hike up to the Clear Creek Falls. It was a great short (~3 hr) hike and I didn't get too out of breath. Emphasis on the TOO though because breathing in this thin air is tough work for a pregnant lady!

These "Be Bear Aware" signs are all over the place in Wyoming and are quite scary.
Don't worry though, I got a "Hiking in Bear Country" pamphlet from the forrest service and now know that if a black bear is charging you you should shout NO GO AWAY in a loud firm voice. If a grizzly bear is charging you you should stand still. Hopefully, in all the excitement I will be able to tell if its a black or grizzly bear.







Just in case we can't tell. we got a bottle of this:
Watch out bears! We have bear spray!
That whole bottle only sprays out for 7 seconds so you really have to make sure your aim is correct.......












Now onto the hike pictures. And thankfully, we didn't see any bears!

Green River Lake.
















Another view of the lake with the mountains in the back. I think that one is called Flat Top Mountain. (I may have made that up but I think I heard it somewhere)
















Some of the Green River. The waterfall we saw emptied out right here.
















Here's the waterfall! It was kind of hard to get a good shot because we were standing at the top of it looking down.

















Not long after that we saw a huge elk (I think) carcass. The legs still had the fur and hooves on them so I'm thinking that was a recently enjoyed bear snack. It was really gross so I didn't take a picture.

Happy trails! P.S. Notice the bear spray strapped to the front if him for easy access!

2 comments:

  1. when my godmother lived in alaska she'd wear bells on her shoes to scare bears away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I want to go on a bear hunt :) I will have to get you that book for Christmas

    ReplyDelete